Sunday, April 18, 2010

Circle of Geese and Seeing the Possibilites

I have lots of new fun information for you about paper piecing and this great Circle of Geese block.

I posted this yesterday, from the Sometimes Crafter blog.  I heard from Joanne (one of my loyal blog readers) who sent me the link to a quilt made by Linda Frost on Barbara Brackman's blog.  I wrote to the Sometimes Crafter, Christina, and asked for the origin of the block.  She directed me to Beth Maddock's blog.  Whew!  Nothing like a great research project to start the weekend!  I thoroughly enjoyed reading the blogs of all of these very creative women.  Check them ALL out!  Don't miss the gallery photos of the block on Christina's and Beth's blogs.  You will see all of the many ways other quilters have interpreted the block.


Isn't this a great quilt?  Linda did a wonderful job on it.  It never fails to amaze me how different quilters can "see" different things in a block.  The block posted above is bright and colorful.  And this one is warm and rich.  I was especially surprised to see the star in the center stand out in Linda's blocks.  And if you use darker colors under the geese, you get more of a kaleidoscope effect and the geese get lost.  SOOOO many possibilities!  Look at some different coloring options on this page of Beth's blog.

To see the possibilities, draw the bock without adding any color, or make it up with a white fabric.  Look at the lines and see what different shapes and combination of shapes pop out to you.  When I am designing in EQ, I often select the black and white (grayscale) option so color and fabric don't blind me to the possibilities that lie within the shapes.  I'm SUCH a fabric junkie!  The fabric inspires me and takes me in some direction and I overlook the possibilities in the block.  So... try black and white and see what you are missing.

I have a quilt in my mind using this block.  Maybe one of these days, it will materialize, and I'll show it to you. 

Thank you Christina, Linda, Barbara and especially Beth.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

I love the bright colored block. Several of these would make a wonderful quilt.

Needled Mom said...

I, too, have seen this block and loved it. Someday..............

Nancy said...

I just finished this block also... lol

You can see mine in white here ...

http://withthreadinhand.blogspot.com/2010/04/so-here-it-is.html

I plan on putting 4 of them together for a baby quilt...