Friday, March 30, 2012

Cobblestone Crows


I made this wall hanging a few weeks ago.  I donated it to a benefit auction that will be held later this month..  The proceeds will benefit the Lelooska Foundation in Ariel, Washington (just north of the Portland area).

The pattern is called, "Cobblestone Crows" and was designed by Sheryl Mycroft of Random Threadz.  Sheryl has a real talent for designing patterns that are not very difficult, but look stunning.  I sell the patterns and complete kits on my website and I've always wanted to make this up.  I like it so much that I want to make another one for myself!  Sheryl also designed the Manzanita Tree pattern.  She's very talented- and very nice, too!


The fabric is appliqued onto the background.  The Crows are applied with fusible applique and then stitched very closely around the edge.  Then the beads and buttons are sewn on by hand.  It took me longer to sew on the beads than it did to make the quilt!  The bead packs are made for Alderwood Quilts by my bead artist friend, Lanai Kinsky. I carry the little bead packs in 6 different colorways.  The thin green border (see top photo) is 3-dimensional, which is a really nice touch.  (Did I mention that I love Sheryl's patterns?)

The funny thing is that the birds are seen as "crows" by the designer.  I see "Raven".  And a friend of mine looked at it and said, "Magpies!".  So... their identification is in the eye of the beholder.



5 comments:

Needled Mom said...

It is gorgeous!!!!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I can see why sewing the beads took a long time; there's lots of them! Have you been knitting any socks lately?

Judy S. said...

Hmmm....I am not anonymous. It's me, Judy S.

Quiltsmiles said...

How gorgeous! Love the colors used. Jane

Anonymous said...

I saw this little quilt at the Quilters Annon quilt show in Monroe last month. I took a photograph of it, because it took my fancy.
Maggie Radliff
Mount Vernon